- This article is about Donkey Kong's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Donkey Kong.
|“||His charged punch is one of the strongest attacks in the game! In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, his Final Smash has been updated from Konga Beat to a flurry of punches!||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
Donkey Kong (ドンキーコング, Donkey Kong) is a veteran fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, first playable in Super Smash Bros. He was confirmed to return on June 12, 2018 during E3 2018. Donkey Kong remains relatively the same, although he now has updated facial expressions and a new Final Smash called Jungle Rush.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Classic Mode: Journey to New Donk City
- 7 Role in World of Light
- 8 In Spirit Battles
- 9 Palette Swaps
- 10 Gallery
- 11 External links
- Overall strong attacks with high damage and knockback.
- Heavy weight gives him high survivability.
- Decent range on many attacks thanks to his long arms.
- Forward aerial, Down aerial, Down special, and Side special can Meteor Smash.
- Possesses the Cargo Throw, allowing him to carry opponents around the stage and it is a good combo throw.
- Possesses Super Armor on neutral special, side special, and up special.
- Strong throws.
- Considerable lag on many attacks.
- Large hurtbox makes him vulnerable to combos and juggling.
- Poor vertical recovery.
- Struggles against enemies with lots of projectiles and enemies capable of easily applying rushdown pressure.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Up taunt has an altered animation.
- Down tilt has an altered animation.
- Forward smash has an altered animation.
- Up smash hits grounded opponents significantly more effectively.
- Forward aerial has an altered animation without a flip, significantly reducing the move's lag.
Grabs and Throws
- During his pummel, Donkey Kong now chops the opponent's body instead of their head.
- Cargo throw has an altered animation that involves hauling the opponent over one shoulder.
- Donkey Kong does more circular arm motions when charging Giant Punch, gradually gets angrier as he does so, and strikes a different pose when releasing the punch. Additionally, he can now punch with both arms due to his mirrored stance, and the aerial version no longer renders him helpless.
- Headbutt now has super armor.
- Aerial Spinning Kong now has a finishing blow.
- His new Final Smash now involves throwing a barrage of punches at his opponents in a similar fashion to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
- Neutral Attack: A hook followed by an uppercut.
- Forward Tilt: A backhanded slap.
- Up Tilt: An overhead arcing swipe.
- Down Tilt (Slouch Slap): A crouching swat.
- Dash Attack: The Roll Attack, his signature attack from Donkey Kong Country.
- Forward Smash: A lunging clap.
- Up Smash: An overhead clap.
- Down Smash: Raises his arms overhead and then quickly swings them downward to perform forearm clubs.
- Floor Attack (Front): Performs a swat before getting up.
- Floor Attack (Back): Claps in front of himself and then in front of himself while getting up.
- Floor Attack (Trip): Throws a spinning, wind-up punch while getting up.
- Ledge Attack: Performs a forearm club while getting up.
- Neutral aerial: Quickly spins around to perform discus clotheslines with both arms, similarly to Spinning Kong.
- Forward aerial: A double axe handle.
- Back aerial: A back kick.
- Up aerial: An upward headbutt.
- Down aerial: A stomp.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: A slap.
- Forward Throw (Kong Karry): Donkey Kong hauls the opponent over one shoulder and can then move around and make use of his jump to carry the opponent around; once another direction has been inputted, Donkey Kong does one of four throws; if the opponent is not thrown after a certain time or if they mash out, they can escape the cargo throw.
- Back Throw: Flings the opponent backward.
- Up Throw: Heaves the opponent upward with one arm.
- Down Throw: Shoves the opponent into the ground with one arm.
|Donkey Kong's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Giant Punch|
|Up Special||Spinning Kong|
|Down Special||Hand Slap|
|Final Smash||—||Konga Beat||Jungle Rush|
- Up Taunt: Beats his chest while scowling.
- Side Taunt: Shakes himself while sporting a humorous expression.
- Down Taunt: Faces the camera while shrugging and looking confused.
In competitive play
To be added
Classic Mode: Journey to New Donk City
Donkey Kong's path presumably refers to New Donk City Hall being the final stage. After defeating Diddy Kong, he becomes Donkey Kong's partner for the rest of the mode.
|1||Diddy Kong||Kongo Jungle||Jungle Level (64)|
|2||King K. Rool||Kongo Jungle||Gang-Plank Galleon|
|3||Wario and Captain Falcon||Pilotwings||Gear Getaway|
|4||Ness and Lucas||Onett||The Map Page / Bonus Level|
|5||Male and Female Inklings||Moray Towers||Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Jr. Medley|
|6||Mario and Luigi||New Donk City Hall||New Donk City|
|Final||Master Hand||New Donk City Hall (Omega form)||Master Hand / Crazy Hand|
Role in World of Light
Donkey Kong was among the fighters that were summoned to fight the army of Master Hands.
During the opening cutscene, Donkey Kong was present on the cliffside when Galeem unleashed his beams of light. Galeem's light beams vaporized Donkey Kong offscreen, placing him under Galeem's imprisonment along with the other fighters, excluding Kirby.
He can be rescued in a jungle segment of World of Light on a space that looks like the treehouse he lives in on his series. In his fight, he is a grab spirit who has 3300 power.
In Spirit Battles
As the Main Opponent
- Goomba (Tiny; x5)
- Barrel Train
- Flies & Hand (Giant)
- Rabbid Kong (Bunny)
- Donkey Kong & Lady (Giant)
- Donkey Kong Jr. (Tiny and Giant)
- Cranky Kong
- Swanky Kong
- Wrinkly Kong (Clear)
- Chunky Kong
- Professor Chops
- Ninja Kong
- Landorus (Therian Forme)
- Polar Bear
- Purple Pikmin (Tiny; x10)
- Mr. Sandman
- Master Giant (Giant)
- Muddy Mole
- Sumo Brothers (Giant; x2)
As a Minion
- Funky Kong
- Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- Hockey Players