- This article is about Donkey Kong's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For other uses, see Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong (ドンキーコング, Donkī Kongu) He is known as simply Donkey in the Japanese release. He is a character for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He was first shown very briefly at the E3 2007 press conference. His appearance, like most other characters in Brawl, has been graphically updated to match his more recent appearances. This means, his fur colour is more brightly coloured, and he also appears furrier, especially around his head.
An interesting fact about Donkey Kong is he is able to use his grabs and can move around at the same time while grabbing the foe by carrying him/her about his head. This technique is known as "carrying" or "cargo".
Pros and Cons
- High damage, knockback, and range on many attacks.
- Hard to KO due to heaviness.
- Can Stage Spike with his carry throw.
- Throws overall powerful and have long range.
- Three different spike attacks, and two stage spikes.
- Above average running speed.
- Headbutt attack allows for a free-hit upon the opponent.
- Fully charged Giant Punch gives him super armor frames.
- Good air speed and horizontal recovery that can go almost all the way across Final Destination (5th fastest along with Sonic).
- Many attacks have a great start-up time.
- Up b can be landed with no lag when done right.
- Jab can "lock" characters in tumble if they tumble in front of Donkey Kong, racking up damage across the entire stage.
- Can chain grab some characters.
- Can carry Crates, Barrels, and Bonsly without a reduction in walking speed.
- Overall DK is one of the fastest Heavyweights in the game.
- Up Aerial is fast, with little lag, and is a powerful upward KO attack.
- A very big target
- Poor vertical recovery.
- Recovery can be caught under stage lips.
- Lacks a varied moveset and style of approach.
- Small shield invites shield stabbing.
- Easy to combo, juggle & edgeguard.
Changes from Melee to Brawl
- DK gets Super armor during Giant Punch
- Giant Punch is much shorter
- Landing on the ground from his Spinning Kong leaves him vulnerable as he lands on his back and has to get up
- Attacks became slightly faster and stronger, range increased on nearly all moves
- Headbutt comes out faster
- Down+B attack covers more range
- Running speed has slightly increased
- Up B has less knockback
- Carry throw gives Super armor
- Smash attacks are now much faster and more powerful, range on side smash greatly increased
- Dtilt now trips, leaving them vulnerable
- Headbutt deals more damage
- Dash attack knocksback horizontally instead of vertical
- Headbutt can now ground opponents when used in midair due to the fact it is a Meteor smash
Role in the Subspace Emissary
After Bowser's minions steal his banana horde, DK and Diddy Kong chase after them to get their bananas back. Soon they learned that it was a trap to lure them to Bowser. As Bowser aims his Dark Cannon at the duo, Donkey Kong punches Diddy away and is turned into a trophy. 
Diddy Kong and Falco find DK and revive him while Captain Falcon and Olimar team up with them. After a short battle, Falco flies away in his arwing while the others sneak into the Subspace Army's base. DK beats down the door to the Subspace Bomb room, meeting up with Samus, Pikachu and R.O.B., helps the heroes defeat Meta Ridley, and joins with the heroes throughout the rest of the story.
- Event 7: Diddy Kong Panic- As DK on Mario Circuit, KO the 15 small Diddy Kongs.
- Event 9: The Monster Beneath the Earth- On Castle Siege, you play as Ike and must KO both Diddy Kongs. If you don't complete the event before reaching the dungeon, a giant DK joins the battle against you.
- Event 10: All-Star Battle Regulars- Choose your character and take on the "original 8" fighters, two at a time, second fighter being D.K.
- Event 22: Monkeys Unite- Protect Donkey Kong against Sheik, and Lucario on Rumble Falls as Diddy Kong.
- Event 27: Three-Beast Carnage- Face Charizard, DK, and Bowser on New Pork City as a tiny R.O.B.
Co-Op Event Matches
- Event 4: D.K's Tag Calamity- DK and Diddy start out with the lightning effect and must KO all enemies on Mario Circuit.
- Event 14 :Guardians of Darkness- Play as tiny Ganondorf and Wolf on New Pork City against DK and Charizard. Each of you must get 1 KO between the two.
- Event 21: The Real All-Star Brawl- Select your character and take on the entire roster on Battlefield.
- Neutral A - Does a quick cross punch and follows up with an uppercut.
- Dash A - Skids to a halt doing a side-kick.
- Strong Side - Swats in front.
- Strong Up - Swats above his head.
- Strong Down - Swats at his opponent's feet
- Side Smash - Claps hands together.
- Up Smash - Claps hands above his head.
- Down Smash - Does a double back-handed punch by bringing his closed fists down 90 degrees at both sides.
- Ledge attack -
- 100% Ledge attack -
- Floor attack -
- Trip attack -
- Neutral Aerial - Spins, arms extended
- Forward Aerial - Puts fists together above his head, then does a powerful Axe-handle Smash. A powerful Meteor Smash.
- Back Aerial - Back-kicks behind him. This attack is quick.
- Up Aerial - Headbutts above.
- Down Aerial - Stomps down, arching his body forward; is a spike.
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel - does a slight karate chop at the enemy's neck
- Forward Throw - Heaves the opponent on his back, causing minor damage. He can carry around the opponent (regardless of size) as if the opponent were a heavy item.
- Back Throw - Swings his arm back and throws the opponent
- Down Throw - Slams the opponent down with his hand
- Up Throw - grabs the enemy and throws them in the air with his right hand
- Whenever you get a good chance, charge up a Giant Punch. A vulnerable opponent can be pounded in with a Headbutt and slammed with fully-charged Punch. Once you Headbutt an opponent and initiate a Punch, your Super Armor frames will protect you from other interference.
- Make sure to keep your distance from your opponent in a 1 on 1, most of your attacks will deal a stronger blow too, making it more encouragable to do.
- At lower percentages try and knock your opponent up into the air and then use an aerial up+A, a second jump with another up+A or you could use your backwards+A attack too for an easy 25+ combo that requires little skill to perform
- Use your Forward+A and down+A to attack enemies on the ground, doing short hop and an aerial is not recommended unless you do a backwards jump with a back+A
Up: Beats his chest while standing up high.
Side: Shakes body and head.
Bursts out of a DK barrel.
- Leans forward while bearing teeth.
- Pats his chest with both hands and swings arms with one in a strong man position.
- Beats his chest
- Hands above his head together, he moves them side to side
- Does a backflip, holds up his arms
- King K. Rool/Ship Deck 2
- DK's down B is the strongest attack against Bosses but only works on certain ground bosses.
- DK might be left handed (or ambidextrous) do to the fact he uses his left hand for his Giant Punch, though he uses the right for Super Smash Bros.. In Mario Superstar Baseball, Donkey Kong uses his right to pitch and left to bat.
- DK is one of the only characters without an aerial down B move.
Snake: Otacon, there's a gorilla wearing a tie here. He's huge.
Otacon: Thats Donkey Kong, as you can tell, he's got strength to spare. He may be king of the jungle, but he lives in a house just like you or me. And he seems pretty smart--well, for an ape, anyway. The Donkey Kong who fought that epic battle with Mario was this guy's grand-father.
S: That was a long time ago. What about this Donkey Kong? Does he get along with Mario?
O: Nope, they're still at it. Seems like they're always competing in something--kart racing, sports, you name it.
S: A chip off the old block...