The Dolphin is the mainly used Wii and GameCube emulator to play Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, mostly because it does not crash as often as others and it has Netplay. It has become famous through Antdgar's Super Smash Bros. Melee Perfect Falcon and Perfect Pichu videos. It has also become famous through the ability of letting people use texture hacks and change noises in Melee. It is named after how the GameCube was codenamed, "Project Dolphin." It's also a reference to Olimar's ship, the S.S. Dolphin.
Pros of Dolphin
- With a good enough computer, this is the only legitimate way to play SSBM online.
- With an adapter, it allows you to play Melee with all different types of controls, such as a keyboard and the Xbox controller outside the GameCube Controller.
- With the ability to tweak settings easier than a normal GameCube, it is much easier to hack the emulator. This is also better as it removes the ability to permanently damage the Gamecube through hacking.
- Outside of Super Smash Bros. Melee, other games, such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, can also be played on this emulator.
Cons of Dolphin
- It takes a very strong computer to play it at a high FPS.
- As with other emulators, the legality of ROMs used is questionable.
- Due to the requirements of the program, the "scene" of the online Melee community is very small.