Distant Planet (とある星 Toaru Hoshi?) is a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS as a familiar stage, and in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It is the first and only Brawl stage representing the Pikmin universe, and first out of two in the Smash universe. Technically, all of the fighters are at most a couple of inches tall when they are fighting on this stage. Olimar is fought here for his unlocking battle in Ultimate.
The stage arena is comprised of a giant leaf with three smaller leaves above it. The small leaves sink when characters are standing on them; the heavier the character, the lower the leaf falls. When the player walks or jumps off, the leaves will spring back into position. To the left, there is a downward slope slanting towards the lower blast line.
As the match plays, Pellets will be seen falling from the Pellet Posies around the stage. The player can grab one of these by attacking the Posie and throwing the pellet into a nearby Onion (Pikmin ship) to get items. Just as the Onions produce more Pikmin based on the number on the pellet and if the colors correspond in the games, more items will come out the higher the number on the pellet, and more still if it is thrown in the Onion of the matching color (these are red, blue, and yellow). Dangerous items can be produced if the incorrect colors are matched (such as Bob-ombs). The pellets start out as 1, and the longer they are left to stand, they will change to 5, and then 10. Onions will land on the leaf-platforms, and can be attacked to make them flee.
Also, this planet experiences frequent torrential downpours. When it rains, water will slide down the hill and drop off at the edge, dragging players off the stage. The edge of the hill can still be grabbed during the rain effect. There is a Bulborb to the right of the stage that will occasionally appear; landing in its mouth will cause it to swallow the player. If this happens, the Bulborb will drag the player off the stage and the victim is KOed. While landing in the mouth will result in being eaten, players can grab the ledge of the Bulborb's mouth like any other ledge and walljump against the vertical part of his mouth. Sometimes the Bulborb will cry out, yawn, or stand with its mouth gaping open. The Bulborb will wander on and off screen throughout the match. Furthermore, standing on top of the Bulborb for too long is dangerous as the Bulborb can walk off the stage. It may also snatch a player off its back into its mouth and eat them.
While Distant Planet's legality is often debated, the stage is rarely legal in tournaments, as the slope enables walk-off camping and easy KOs with high knockback attacks and chain grabs such as King Dedede's infinite chain grab with his down throw. The stage layout overall encourages light circle camping, and the bottom of the slope below the main platform is an unreasonably powerful camping position.
In both Pikmin and Pikmin 2, Captain Olimar's adventures took place on a mysterious unknown world. Many things in said world suggested that it was in fact Earth. However, the identity of his location was never confirmed, so the name "Distant Planet" was given to the stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, simply to show that it is a long way from Olimar's home planet Hocotate. Specifically, this stage is probably based on The Forest of Hope and The Awakening Wood from Pikmin and Pikmin 2, respectively.
Red Bulborbs are the most common enemy in the Pikmin series. Its characteristics are to sleep until disturbed, then march around its territory looking for Pikmin to eat. These traits are shown in Brawl by the Bulborbs in the foreground and background.
In Pikmin 2, the primary objective is to search for treasures to pay off a massive debt. These treasures mostly consist of pieces of everyday litter, but are considered valuable by the Hocotatians. The soda can in the background is likely a homage to all of this. However, in Pikmin, exposed pipes and tin cans were used as signals for the location of bomb rocks.
- The large soda can lying in the background of the stage has the Smash Bros. symbol on it.
- The rain that occurs is 2-D. If the player pauses when it's raining on the stage, and moves the camera all the way left or right (angle), they can see the rain is paper thin; a similar effect occurs in the rain effects for Pirate Ship.
- The Bulborb will close its mouth on a character under the effects of a Starman or a move that gives invincibility, like Super Sonic, but it won't trap the character and take them with it when it walks off the screen.
- If the game is paused and the camera is turned all the way to the right, the Bulborb will still be there (but past the blast line).
- A Red Bulborb and a Cloaking Burrow-nit can be seen in the background. However, the latter does not get any other mention in the game.
- If Sonic wears a Bunny Hood on this stage, he can outrun the downpour on the hill, all the way to the blast line, making him self-destruct.
- When recovering horizontally, CPU characters often try to land in the Bulborb's open mouth instead of jumping to the main platform, resulting in a KO. This was fixed in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
- When the Pokémon Trainer is selected, the trainer stands on the long tree branch in the background.
- Interestingly, despite the rainstorms that occur on this stage, it doesn't rain anywhere in Pikmin or Pikmin 2.
- It's possible to avoid death on the Bulborb if the player jumps within the same frame that it would eat them; however, this only occurs on the top with his mouth closed. It will still quickly run off the edge.
- This is the only stage where Peach can die as she uses her final smash. If it's used while on the Bulborb, it can run off, KOing her, similarly to how the Bulborb eats a character & leaves.
- In Ultimate, the following Assist Trophies cannot be summoned on this stage: the Moon, Kapp’n, Devil, and the Squid Sisters. Also, the following Poké Ball Pokémon cannot be summoned here: Electrode, Goldeen, Moltres, Kyogre, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus, Zoroark, Kyurem, Chespin, Fennekin, Dedenne, and Xerneas.
|Characters||Captain Olimar / Alph & Pikmin (Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)|
|Side Characters||Assist Trophy||Burrowing Snagret|
|Background characters||Red Bulborb · Pikmin|
|Stage Hazard||Red Bulborb · Peckish Aristocrab|
|Enemies||Red Bulborb · Iridescent Glint Beetle|
|Stages||Distant Planet · Garden of Hope|
|Item||Pellet · Hocotate Bomb|
|Music||List of Music (Pikmin series)|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (Pikmin series)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (Pikmin series)|