Diddy Kong is a starter character in Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS). Sakurai has stated that Diddy is returning as a veteran fighter from Super Smash Bros. Brawl with increased flexibility and longer attack range. Diddy was announced on February 21st, in celebration of the US and European launch of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
- Great jump height and recovery.
- Strong throws.
- Possesses a projectile.
- Good recovery.
- Good combo potential, specially in the air.
- Powerful smash attacks.
- Banana Peels and blew peanuts can be picked up and used by opponents.
- Overcharging the Peanut Popgun will cause it to misfire; leaves Diddy vulnerable.
Differences from Brawl
Despite being a Top Tier in Brawl, Diddy recieved many buffs that further increases his versatility. His appearance and proportions now reflects his apparition in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
- Increased elasticity in most moves, making his limbs stretch farther, thus increasing his range.
- The third hit of his Neutral Attack can transition between rapid jabs and a finisher.
- Forward Smash causes more knockback.
- Up Smash has slightly different animation and has higher KO power and hitboxes.
- Down Smash is slower and causes less knockback.
- Dash Attack causes more damage on the final hit, but has increased ending lag.
- Neutral Aerial causes more vertical knockback.
- Forward and Down Aerials have less ending and landing lag.
- Up Aerial has slightly larger hitbox, is faster, and has more KO power.
- Down Aerial has less ending lag.
Grabs and Throws
- Grab animation is faster.
- Forward and Back Throw are much slower.
- Up Throw causes less knockback.
- Down Throw sends opponents in a more vertical trajectory that allows for easier combos with 2 or more hits, mostly Up Air, this made people from the Competetive community to call it the "HOO HA".
- Peanut Popgun's explosion is now much stronger when it overcharges.
- Rocketbarrel Boost is now easier to control and can move in a more horizontal trajectory, increasing Diddy's recovery options.
- Banana Peel has been severely nerfed. Diddy can only have one active at time, and the item can be destroyed by the opponents. The peel will also disappear instantly after touching the ground twice.
Jab: Swipes twice with his hands and then turns around and kicks back.
Infinite Jab: Swipes twice and then swipes with his tail repeatedly
Side Tilt: Leans forward and punches with both fists
Up Tilt: Swipes in an arc above him
Down Tilt: Claps in front of him
Side Smash: Swings with one fist and then spins around to strike with his fist a second time
Down Smash: Spins around, sweeping his legs across the ground on each side
Up Smash: Swings upwards with one hand, going into a flip; he then attacks by kicking upwards with one foot and upon up-righting himself again finishes with a powerful uppercut
Ledge Attack: Gets up on the ledge, turns around and hits with his tail
Get-up Attack: Stands up on one hand and kicks to one side and then using the same leg kicks over his head on the other side
Neutral Air: performs a cartwheel in midair, hitting with all of his limbs
Forward Air: Kicks forwards with both feet
Back Air: Kicks behind him with one foot
Up Air: Kicks above him with one foot
Down Air: Puts his fists together and swings them downwards between his legs
Grabs and Throws
Grab: Swipes in front of him with both hands
Pummel: Headbutts the grabbed opponent
Forward Throw: Hurls the opponent forward with one hand
Back Throw: Hurls the opponent backwards using both hands
Up Throw: Tosses them above him and the flips upside down to perform an upward kick to the opponent
Down Throw: Does a hop and bounces the opponent on the ground beneath him, launching them behind him at the end of the move
|Diddy Kong's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Peanut Popgun|
|Side Special||Monkey Flip|
|Up Special||Rocketbarrel Boost|
|Down Special||Banana Peel|
|Final Smash||Rocketbarrel Barrage||Hyper Rocket Barrel|
|Diddy Kong's Custom Special Moves|
|Custom 1||Custom 2|
|Standard Special||Exploding Popgun||Jumbo Peanuts|
|Side Special||Back Flip||Flying Monkey Flip|
|Up Special||Rocketbarrel Attack||Rocketbarrel Kaboom|
|Down Special||Shocking Banana Peel||Battering Banana Peel|
Up Taunt: Diddy flips his hat and lands it on his head
Side Taunt; Diddy holds both his hands to the side and shakes his head, making a horse-like noise with his lips
Down Taunt: Diddy hops and claps
In competitive play
To be added
Donkey Kong's trust partner. He sports his signature look: red hat, red shirt, Rocketbarrel Pack. In Smash Bros., he's incredibly agile. Charge the Rocketbarrel Pack by holding down the button before launch; you can steer with left and right. Don't forget to drop banana peels--enemies love it!
- SNES - Donkey Kong Country (11/1994)
- SNES - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (11/1995)
Diddy Kong (Alt)
The Banana Peel Diddy throws when you use his down special can be picked up and used against you, so be careful. His Monkey Flip side special is a rolling leap followed by a grab (or a kick if you press the button again midjump). If you grab someone, press the button again to attack or jump off them to go high into the air.
To be added