By inputting Down B, Hero will enter a thinking pose and a menu will appear over the damage meter displaying four spells and the respective MP cost, which can be navigated by holding up or down and confirming with an attack button, which then the spell will activate if the sufficient amount of MP is available. Hero can have the menu active for ten seconds before disappearing; however if he is attacked before selecting the menu will disappear. Hero can cancel the menu any time by jumping or shielding, as he remains immobile while in the menu, with MP refilling being paused.
The selection of spells available is all generated by a certain percentage, with no spell appearing twice in a row, and certain spells won't appear in conjunction with others.. Therefore if Hero wishes to use a certain move, he must cancel the menu and reactivate Command Selection, in which a new selection of spells is available. If the opposite direction is held while selecting a spell, Hero will cast the spell in the reverse direction, making it useful for attacking opponents behind Hero. In general, Sizz/Bang have the most chances of appearing, with Hocus Pocus having the least chances.
- Sizz: Shoots a quick beam that explodes along the ground on impact.
- Sizzle: Similar to Sizz but is larger and deals more damage
- Bang: Summons a small projectile that draws opponents in before detonating.
- Kaboom: Similar to Bang but is larger and deals more damage.
- Oomph: Increases the damage of all attacks for ten seconds at the cost of reduced defense.
- Psyche Up: Increases the damage and knockback of the next move used, which disappears if it connects or is shielded.
- Snooze: Launches a projectile that puts foes to sleep.
- Bounce: Creates a barrier that reflects projectiles, lasting for ten seconds.
- Flame Slash: A physical slash with a flame effect.
- Karackle Slash: A slash that freezes opponents.
- Metal Slash: OHKO's metal enemies or enemies using Kaclang.
- Kaclang: Turns to metal, protecting himself from all forms of attacks barring Metal Slash and including grabs.
- Zoom: The Hero flies up vertically and lands at a random spot on stage. However, if connecting with a ceiling during the ascent they will bounce off.
- Heal: The Hero heals a small amount. (11%)
- Accelerate: Increases his movement speed but is slightly easier to launch.
- Hatchet Man: Swings his sword downwards slowly but always guarantees a Critical Hit, dealing massive damage and knockback, and can break shields.
- Whack: Fires a spark that can score an OHKO, with the chances being higher the more damage the opponent has. Otherwise it deals no damage or knockback.
- Thwack: Similar to Whack but has a larger radius and higher chance to OHKO, however it functions as a burst attack instead of a projectile.
- Hocus Pocus: Triggers a random effect or command.
- Magic Burst: The Hero uses up all of his Mana to fire a magic blast similar to a Smart Bomb, catching opponents before launching them. The power depends on the Hero's remaining MP.
- Kamikazee: Creates an explosion around himself to self-destruct while launching opponents.
- With 21 options available in Command Selection, Hero possesses the most amount of Special Moves.
- Aside from the name, the appearance of Command Selection varies by language.
- Kamikazee is one of the few moves whose user may perish when it is used, even if a Suicide KO would not have been the result if the Hero would survive.