- This article is about Byleth’s appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Byleth.
Byleth is a newcomer fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. Their inclusion was revealed in the character presentation through the Nintendo Direct on January 16, 2020. They are the fifth and last fighter announced for the first volume of the Fighters Pass and were released on January 28th, 2020.
- Disjointed reach.
- High damage output.
- Strong defensive game
- Forward Air, Back Air, Forward Smash, and Aredbhar deal extra damage and knockback when connecting at the tip.
- Down Smash and Down Air deal high shield damage
- Meteor Smash in Down Air.
- Up Smash and Up Air are active for long duration and good for juggling.
- Neutral Aerial possesses a landing hitbox, making it a useful tool for anti airing and combos
- Failnaught deals high damage and shield damage, and can be shield or jump cancelled. The stronger variant covers massive range and deals high damage and knockback
- Aredbhar covers a wide range above and covers platforms.
- Tether recovery in Sword of the Creator, which can also anti-air opponents.
- Aymr has super armor and can break shields, as well as deal massive damage when connecting
- Poor mobility
- High startup and endlag on most attacks
- Forward Aerial and Back Aerial have precise hitboxes, lacking vertical reach.
- Short grab range.
- Neutral Attack: Punches forward and performs a roundhouse kick, with the next finisher being dependent on the next button duration; if button is held, Byleth will perform another kick, while if it pressed repeatedly Byleth will swing forward with a flurry attack before launching them back
- Side Tilt: Swipes forward with the Sword of the Creator.
- Up Tilt: Swings the Sword of the Creator upwards.
- Down Tilt: Whips the Sword of the Creator low to the ground.
- Dash Attack: Slices forward with the Sword of the Creator. Tip of the sword deals more damage
- Side Smash: Thrusts Areadbhar forwards. Can be angled. Deals more damage at the tip of the lance, with the most damage being when the Smash attack is angled upwards.
- Up Smash: Whips the Sword of the Creator around in a spiral above himself/herself. Has multiple hits. The start of this move can launch his opponents upward in front of him.
- Down Smash: Swings Aymr in a sweeping motion in front and behind himself/herself. Deals high shield damage
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Edge Attack:
- Neutral Air: Spins Failnaught in front of him/her. Possesses a landing hitbox, making it useful for extending combos. Byleth's fastest aerial.
- Forward Air: Swings Areadbhar forwards. The tip of attack deals more damage and knockback. Possesses large horizontal range but lacks vertical reach.
- Back Air: Swings Areadbhar behind him/her. Similar to Forward Air, but deals more damage but has more startup.
- Up Air: Byleth twirls the Sword of the Creator around in a spiral above himself/herself. Hits multiple times.
- Down Air: Swings Aymr downwards. Can meteor smash opponents at the initial extension, and deals high shield damage.
Grabs and Throws
- Grab: Grabs in front of them.
- Pummel: Knees the opponent.
- Forward Throw: Hits the opponent forward with the Sword of the Creator.
- Back Throw: Spins the opponent around and sends them backwards.
- Up Throw: Pushes the Sword of the Creator upwards and launches the opponent
- Down Throw: Swings the Sword of the Creator in whip form in front and launches them forward
|Byleth's Special Moves|
|Up Special||Sword of the Creator|
|Final Smash||Progenitor God Ruptured Heaven|
- Up Taunt: Male Byleth swings the Sword of the Creator outward and holds it to his side while raising his left hand to his chest and looking upwards, while female Byleth swings the sword behind her and holds it in a reverse grip while placing her hand over her chest. Based on Byleth's victory animation while wielding a sword
- Side Taunt: Holds the Sword and the Creator in front of them while saying, "Let the lesson begin!" or "Stay focused."
- Down Taunt: Spins the Sword of the Creator in whip form in front while saying "Try me!"
- Warps onto the stage with a pointer before replacing it with the Sword of the Creator
- Swings the Sword of the Creator in a reverse grip before holding it out in front of them. Based on their animation when selected as a unit.
- Plants the Sword of the Creator into the ground alongside the other Hero's Relics already planted, and walks forward saying "Each battle, a chance to grow" before swinging out their left arm and lowering it while facing the background. Combines the game over screen of Three Houses with Byleth's quote after defeating an enemy.
The following victory poses differ based on the gender selected.
- Swings the Sword of the Creator outward and holds it to his side saying "Allow me to demonstrate!" while raising his left hand towards his chest and looking upwards. Based on Byleth's victory animation while wielding a sword, with the quote deriving from one of his critical hit quotes.
- Opens his eyes and takes the Sword of the Creator from his shoulder and swings it at the ground in front of him while in whip form saying "No hesitation!" before returning it to its normal form and holding it out in front of him.
- Swings the Sword of the Creator behind her and holds it in a reverse grip before placing her hand over her chest saying "Allow me to demonstrate!". Unlike Male Byleth, she looks toward the screen.
- Swings the Sword of the Creator twice in whip form before holding it close to her saying "No hesitation!"
- Byleth is the only fighter to have two splash arts, which is due to the Japanese version of Byleth having two names for each gender
- Byleth is the only character in the Fighter's Pass to not originate from a third party.
- Byleth is the third character from the Fire Emblem universe to be added as DLC following Roy and Corrin, but the first one to come with a stage.
- When KO'd, male Byleth may shout "Not my best!", while female Byleth may say, "Forgive me!", being one of the few characters to say something while KO'd.
- When Star KO'd, Byleth screams, "My battle ends here!", being the second character to say something for their Star KO following Pit.