Button Mashing is a technique in the Super Smash Bros. series. It involves rapidly pressing buttons to escape certain attacks, such as grabs, Kirby's and King Dedede's Inhale, Yoshi's Egg Lay, and Freezies. It can be also be used to achieve a higher effect of some special moves. The buttons used vary between moves.
To break out of moves such as grabs, Kirby's and King Dedede's Inhale, Wario's Chomp, and Bowser's Flying Slam/Koopa Klaw, quickly mash the Attack button. After a certain amount of time, the character will break free. Characters with more damage will find it harder to break free. If the attacker has a lot of damage, he/she will have trouble holding on to the opponent.
To escape from effects such as Stun, Yoshi's Egg Lay, a Freezie, or a Pitfall, rapidly press the up and down buttons on the D-pad or tilt the Control Stick up and down. It can also be used to shake off a flower from a Lip's Stick.
Button Mashing can also refer to rapidly pressing a certain button to achieve a higher effect. Examples include:
- Mario Tornado/Luigi Cyclone: Players can mash the B button to gain extra height. (Mario: Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee. All games for Luigi)
- Donkey Kong's Hand Slap: The B button can be mashed to increase the duration of the move. (All games).
- Bowser's and Donkey Kong's Up Special Moves, Whirling Fortress and Spinning Kong: Mashing the B button gains the player extra height
- Pit's Side Special Move, Angel Ring: The B button can be mashed to increase the duration of the move. (Brawl)
- R.O.B.'s Side Special Move, Arm Rotor: The B button can be mashed to increase the duration of the move. (Brawl)
- Ice Climbers' Side Special Move, Squall Hammer: Players can mash the B button to gain extra height. (Melee and Brawl).
- Fox and Falco's Neutral Special Move, Blaster: Rapid fire (All games for Fox, Melee, Brawl and 3DS/Wii U for Falco).
- Wii Fit Trainer's Hula Hoop: Players can mash the B button to gain extra height (3DS/Wii U).