The Athena (アテナ, Athena) is a series of action games (mainly platformer) created by SNK. First released for the Neo Geo between 1986 and 1987. It stars two versions of Athena, the original goddess and her modern-day Japanese descendant, Athena Asamiya. Asamiya only made her cameo appearance in a SNK stage through downloadable fighter debuted in Fatal Fury, Terry Bogard.
Athena is a princess of the mythical land known as the Kingdom of Victory. However, she became bored with her regal life as a princess. In order to get more excited, she runs off in search for an adventure of a lifetime. After her journey ends, not much is heard from Athena again. But, centuries later, a very similar girl appears in the modern era. That girl is the descendant of the Goddess Athena, named Athena Asamiya, a J-Pop idol.
List of games in The King of Fighters franchise
- Athena (1986, Arcade, NES, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, PlayStation Network)
- Athena: Psycho Soldier (1986, Arcade, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, PlayStation Network)
- Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life (1999, PlayStation)
- Athena: Full Throttle (2006, i-mode on FOMA90x)
- Athena: On Stage (2006, TGS 2006 raising simulation)
All of the content for this franchise was released on November 6th, 2019 as part of the version 6.0.0 update.
All characters are cameos in the King of Fighters stage.
- Athena Asamiya: A Japanese pop idol who wields psychic powers, also being a descendant of the legendary Princess Athena. She made her first appearance in the game Psycho Soldier, before becoming a staple character of the King of Fighters franchise.
All are original remixes.
- "Forest World - Athena"
- "Psycho Soldier Theme"
- "Psycho Soldier Theme (Overseas Version)"