Asleep is a status ailment in the Smash Bros. games which characters enter when they are hit by certain moves, most famously Jigglypuff's Sing attack. In this state, a character is unable to do anything. Rotating the Control Stick back and forth and button mashing will shorten the effect, waking the character up sooner. Characters sleep longer when they have taken more damage. Characters cannot fall asleep unless they are on the ground; any character in the air, on an edge, or on a ladder are immune to sleep attacks. Sleep ends early once the character is hit by any attack (unless it does not cause flinching) or the ground disappears. Sleeping characters flash magenta.
Bellossom's Sleep Powder - While Bellossom is using its attack, any character that makes contact with the powder will fall asleep.
- Jigglypuff's Sing - When Jigglypuff uses its Up B move, any character that is in the Sing radius will succumb to sleep.
- Luigi's Final Smash - Negative Zone - Among other varied effects, opponents caught within range may fall asleep.
- Master Hand and Crazy Hand's Applause - A shockwave is released that puts the player to sleep, then the two hands clap together five times.
- Peach's Final Smash - Peach Blossom - Causes all enemies to fall asleep. The closer the enemy to Peach, the longer they will remain asleep.
- Hero's Snooze - Fires a projectile that puts opponents who touch it to sleep. Can put airborne opponents to sleep.